9/09/2010

Puppy Card

I've had several requests for instructions on the Puppy Card I made for Mary at CardzTV:

Created August 2010

This card is featured in the book The Illustrated Project Book of Making Gift Cards and Scrapbooking by Cheryl Owen and Alison Lindsay.   ISSN 9780754819165   If you haven't seen this book, I highly recommend taking some time and browsing through the 360 projects.  I checked it out at our local library, but I am ordering my own copy.  The authors provide templates to cut the puppy's face and ears, but I chose to cut the pieces out on my Cricut.


CUTS:


I welded two 4.25" rounded corner squares from the George cartridge to make the base card.  I cut one more for the puppy's head and hand trimmed to to resemble the book's pattern.  I cut a small oval for the nose and two smaller ovals for the eyes. The ears are cut from Paper Dolls for Everyday.  These are the swim goggles [5th object on the first row using shift Accessory 2] cut at 9.57".  I used the hide detail key on my Gypsy to eliminate the middle cut.  I also flipped one so the shape would match an ear on each side of the head.  The spot around the eye is the cloud from the same Paper Doll cartridge [5th object on the second row using Accessory 3] I believe this is the rain cloud to go with the umbrella.  It was cut at a width of 2.73" and height of 5.60".


Assembly:


  • Card -  Score card in half.  Cover with designer paper if desired. I used a brown plaid paper from DCWV.
  • Head - Hand trim head to desired shape.  I thinned the sides inward for cheeks and rounded off the bottom corners to resemble a chin.
  • Glue the cloud shape onto the head.
  • Glue the eyes and nose to the head. Draw brows with black gel pen or marker.  If desired, highlight eyes and nose with white gel pen.
  • Draw a short straight line down from the nose toward the chin.  Add curved lines at bottom to form mouth.  Add black whisker dots on each side of straight line.
  • To add the tongue, carefully slit the card along the curved parts of the mouth.  Insert a red balloon with a round bottom into the slit and adhere the balloon top to the back of the card. 
  • Lay the ears on top of the head to determine where you would like them placed. Attach part of the long side of the ear behind the head with adhesive.
  • Use a bone folder to flatten the fold line and bring ears toward the face.  I used a paintbrush to roll the ears for dimension.  I also used some adhesive to attach the ears to the front of the card close to the fold line.
  • Attach the puppy's head to the card front.
  • Optional-glue a flower and a bow to the top of the head by the ear.   Of course a boy dog may not like that!
I do not have pictures of the card in progress, but if you can't find the book and you need more details leave me a comment with a way to contact you.  I will try to get you more specifics.
Sue
  .

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your messages, thanks!! Sue